This course is free for job-seekers. Sign up at your local Department of Social Protection or Intreo office. (Click here to find your local office.)
Please quote course code: NC 09857
Apple Mac computers are not supported on this course. You will need the use of a Windows Personal Computer.
Computers are a fundamental part of everyday life and the ability to use them effectively is an essential skill. Most careers today require computer and Internet skills.
ECDL certification will give you the skills to use a computer competently and confidently. It is the most recognised computer user certification in the world.
This online course provides learners with the knowledge and skills to perform basic functions on a personal computer and use a range of software applications. Modules include concepts of information technology and managing files, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and security.
There are four core and three standard modules, plus three optional modules. We recommend that everyone completes the four core modules and any three modules selected from the standard and optional modules available.
You must pass the four core modules and any three modules selected from the standard and optional modules to receive your European Computer Driving License Certificate (ECDL).
- Computer Essentials: sets out the essential concepts and skills relating to the use of devices, file creation and management, networks, and data security.
- Online Essentials: sets out essential concepts and skills relating to web browsing, effective information search, online communication and e-mail.
- Word Processing: allows candidates to demonstrate the ability to use a word processing application to accomplish everyday tasks associated with creating, formatting, and finishing small-sized word processing documents, such as letters and other everyday documents.
- Spreadsheets: allows candidates to understand the concept of spreadsheets and to demonstrate an ability to use a spreadsheet to produce accurate work outputs.
- IT Security: allows candidates to understand the main concepts underlying the secure use of ICT in daily life and to use relevant techniques and applications to maintain a secure network connection, use the Internet safely and securely, and manage data and information appropriately.
- Online Collaboration: sets out concepts and skills relating to the setup and use of online collaborative tools, such as storage, productivity applications, calendars, social media, web meetings, learning environments, and mobile technology.
- Presentations: allows candidates to understand the concept of presentations and to demonstrate competence in the use of presentation software.
- Image Editing: enables the candidate to understand the main concepts underlying digital images and to use an image editing application to enhance images, apply effects, and prepare an image for printing and publishing.
- Web Editing: enables the candidate to understand key web publishing concepts and to create, upload, and maintain a website.
- Project Planning: enables candidates to use project management software to prepare project plans and monitor projects, including planning and managing time, costs, tasks, and resources.
- Databases: enables candidates to gain the knowledge and skills to create and modify tables, queries, forms and reports. Also, how to relate tables, and how to retrieve and manipulate information from a database by using query and sort tools.
During the course, you will receive:
- course content for all modules
- practice exercises and quizzes (where applicable)
- eTutor support (online)
- practice exams for each module (7)
- certification exam vouchers for each exam (7).
Microsoft Office versions: 2013 and 2016
Certification retirement date: No date set
Recommended duration: 26 weeks
Cost: €450.00 (free for job-seekers)
Fee-paying information: Click here
Prerequisites: You should have the ability to use a web browser and send and receive emails. Apple Mac computers are not supported on this course. You will need the use of a Windows Personal Computer.